County residents asked to document flood damage

Huntington County residents whose homes are damaged by severe weather and flooding between April 17 and 22 are asked to report that damage to the Indiana Department of Homeland Security.

If enough damage is documented, IDHS representative Rick Dolsen says, the state may qualify for Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) funds to help in the recovery.

"If we get to a certain level, we might be able to get a disaster declaration," explains Dolsen, district field coordinator for the IDHS. "Then FEMA may be able to help homeowners."

Dolsen says any damage to a residential structure should be reported.

Damage can be reported online at

A link to the form is also available on IDHS)website at In the middle of the page under "Featured Topics," click on "Report Damage From Severe Storms and Flooding - April 17-22, 2013."

Individuals will be asked to provide their name, address, phone number and type of damage the property sustained. Losses can include structural damage to homes and loss of personal property.

Individuals without Internet access are encouraged to contact a friend, family member or neighbor for assistance. Web access is also available at many libraries, religious institutions, community centers or other public facilities.

Reporting damage through this form is not an application for FEMA assistance. It's merely documentation that damage has occurred.