- About Us
- Make an Announcement
- Special Sections
- Bridal Showcase
- Conservation Section
- Tri-County Spring Farm Edition
- Senior Living
- Spring Home & Garden Edition
- Summer Recreation Guide
- Health & Wellness Edition
- Antiques Directory
- Tri-County Fall Farm Edition
- Annual Restaurant Guide
- Fall Home Improvement Edition
- Fall Car Care Edition
- Holiday Shopping Preview
Spring Family Festival April 12 at YMCA
Thursday, March 20, 2014 8:07 AM
Entertainment, games and food will all be a part of the Spring Family Festival on April 12.
The festival, to be held from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. at the Parkview Huntington Family YMCA, also provides a way for social services agencies in the community to tell families with young children about the services they offer. Admission is free.
The festival is being sponsored for the ninth year by social work students at Huntington University, with Huntington County LACE helping to fund the event.
Wade the Wizard and Amazon John, who use lighthearted means to promote awareness of the dangers of smoking and secondhand smoke, will entertain at 10 a.m. and 11 a.m. The entertainment is sponsored by grants from the Ecolab Foundation and Huntington County LACE.
Chant Thompson, executive director of the North American Coalition for Christian Admissions Professionals, will flip hot dogs on the grill. Additional treats promoting healthy snacking will be available.
HU students will ask parents to complete a survey about the festival and gauge their awareness of social service agencies in the community. Free T-shirts will be given to those completing the surveys, while supplies last.
Area agencies sponsoring games and other activities include:
• Bowen Center; ball toss.
• Huntington County Literacy Coalition; create a bookmark and receive a free book.
• Purdue Extension and Huntington County Master Gardeners; plant seeds in small peat pots.
• Boys & Girls Club of Huntington County; "Min- ute to Win It."
• Huntington County Community Schools Special Services; fishing pool.
• Pathfinder Services/- Kids Kampus; painting with real fruits and vegetables.
• Youth Services Bureau and LACE; bean bag toss.
• McKenzie's Hope; miniature golf.
• Lions Club; vision screenings.
• Huntington City-Township Public Library; fishing pond.
• YWCA; education about cyber bullying.
• Parkview Huntington Hospital; nutrition trivia game.
For more information about the Spring Family Festival, contact Dr. Carla MacDonald, director of social work education at Huntington University, at 359-4220.