Andrews gets $300K for roadway repaving work

The Andrews Town Council announced during its meeting on Monday, Sept. 25, that the town had received over $300,000 from the state for roadway repaving work.

Andrews was awarded $304,125 through the state’s Community Crossings Matching Grant program. With the state footing the bill for 75 percent of a project’s cost, municipalities chip in the remaining 25 percent.

For Andrews, that means the town will contribute approximately $100,000 toward the repaving work it plans on having done, plus engineering fees. The grand total for the work will be roughly $405,000, said Councilman John Harshbarger.

The board will speak to Jay Stankiewicz, of the civil engineering firm Fleis & VandenBrink, at its next meeting on Oct. 10 about providing engineering services. Council hopes to get started on the project this coming spring.

Council President Bill Johnson said the project will include several “high-profile streets” in town.

The board set Oct. 10 as the date for a special meeting to discuss the formulation of a comprehensive plan for the town. The plan will delineate projects that council would like to see completed over the next five years and will be consulted by the state when deciding whether or not to award Andrews funding for projects.

After ideas for projects are collated at the meeting, which will start at 5 p.m. at the town hall, a document outlining those projects will be submitted to Region 3A Development and Regional Planning Commission so that the plan can be completed.

Council engaged in further discussion on the town’s policy for the payment of utility fees by “snowbird” residents who depart Andrews for several months in the winter for warmer locales.

The board reviewed a proposed ordinance drawn up by Deputy Clerk-Treasurer Laury Powell. The ordinance would establish a $50 fee for snowbird residents when they return to town, covering water reconnection and account reactivation. Those residents would not be on the hook for any utility fees during their sojourns.

Council was amenable to the ordinance and stated that it would pass it along to the town’s attorney, Michael Hartburg, for review before a vote is taken on its passage.

In other business:

• The board gave Utility Superintendent Colin Bullock permission to purchase a backhoe for $54,000. Bullock was able to lower the unit’s price by trading in the town’s current backhoe for $16,000.

• Council decided that trick-or-treating would occur in town on Oct. 31 from 5 p.m. to 8 p.m. A youth Halloween dance will be hosted by the Andrews Volunteer Fire Department on Oct. 28 from 7 p.m. to 9 p.m.

• Town Marshal Austin Bullock responded to a question about the poor condition of railroad crossings in town, stating that they are scheduled to be fixed in early October.