Skip to main content

Andrews to seek SRF loan

She said that the town is currently looking at two different possible sites.  

Decisions regarding the project are made at the State of Indiana level. Although the exact cost of the project is unknown, Powell said that estimates exceed $5 million.

The state requires the town to submit three different plans with different possible locations.
 

In 2021, the town applied for project funding and was denied on all applications.

This year, if the town is awarded SRF funds, it can then pursue a $700,000 construction grant from the Office of Community and Rural Affairs (OCRA).

If the town does not receive SRF funds, it will be ineligible for OCRA funding,Powell said.

Among the questions still to be determined is whether or not the town will need to increase rates for drinking water. That decision will be made with input from Steve Brock, Therber, Brock and Associates, LLP, of Carmel, who serves as financial advisor for the project. He will coordinate the loan and rate studies.

The council still must approve the signatory authorization resolution to apply for the SRF funds and the Drinking Water State Revolving Fund (DWSRF) resolution preliminary engineering report (PER). The council tabled those actions until its Monday, April 18, special meet- ing.
  

In other business, it was reported that remediation testing has been completed on the eight FEMA buy-out properties. The properties were tested for lead, asbestos and other hazardous materials. The town is awaiting those results. Huntington County Commissioners are giving the town another $25,000 installment in support of the project.

The FEMA grant the town received is paying for 75 percent of the cost. The Town of Andrews at Huntington County are splitting the other 25 percent, Powell said.

Following purchase of the properties and any necessary remediation, the houses will be demolished. The land will be turned into green space.