Skip to main content

Fire chiefs urge safety over holidays

Huntington County Fire Chief’s Association officials would like to remind residents of a few fire safety tips for the upcoming winter months.

Those tips are:

Make sure your smoke and carbon monoxide detectors are in good working order.

If you burn wood or other material for heat, make sure you clean your chimney pipe as needed.

Make sure your heating equipment is maintained and checked by a professional annually.

If you need to thaw out pipes under your home, use caution around flammable material.

Do not overload electrical outlets, use power strips or extension cords with electric heaters.

Keep all materials at least 3 feet away from heat sources including wood stoves, fireplaces, candles, radiators, and space heaters.

Never use an oven as a heat source.

Turn off space heaters when leaving a room or going to sleep as pets can accidentally knock them over.

Always use generators outside in a well-ventilated area.