- About Us
- Make an Announcement
- Special Sections
- Bridal Showcase
- Conservation Section
- Tri-County Spring Farm Edition
- Senior Living
- Spring Home & Garden Edition
- Summer Recreation Guide
- Health & Wellness Edition
- Antiques Directory
- Tri-County Fall Farm Edition
- Annual Restaurant Guide
- Fall Home Improvement Edition
- Fall Car Care Edition
- Holiday Shopping Preview
Daugherty getting his first taste of wrapping up HNHS school year
Lauren M. Wilson - Monday, April 22, 2013 8:48 AM
Originally published April 18, 2013.
Warm weather has finally returned to Huntington, and thoughts are turning to spring and all its features - blooming flowers, green grass, fresh air, weddings and, most importantly for Huntington North High School seniors and Principal Chad Daugherty, graduation.
Wrapping up the school year at the high school is a new experience for Daugherty, who will end his first year serving as the school's principal.
For the seniors, this is the last time they will take finals or count down to the last day of school.
The Class of 2013 is comprised of 413 students as of April 11, 2013.
Of those students, 110 will graduate with an Academic Honors Diploma; 114 belong to the National Honor Society; and seven will graduate with technical honors.
Daugherty says he sees "so much talent" in the students at HNHS.
They are "young adults," he says, and he has enjoyed watching the students grow and figure out what they want to do.
"You see them unfold," Daugherty says.
As far as his own experience at the helm of the high school, he says he has most enjoyed getting to know the students by attending extracurricular activities, seeing their talents and working with his staff, who he says are "extremely hard working."
"It is exciting to see the students preparing for the next level," he says.
"This has been a great year for me."
He says his priorities have been understanding the challenges facing high school students, such as career and technical education requirements, graduation rate, attendance and advanced placement and professional internship opportunities - just to name a few.
"We have to balance big rocks," he says,
"We need to be great - not good, great - in all areas."
This week begins the buildup to graduation, which will be held on Friday, June 7, at 7 p.m. in the Huntington North High School gymnasium.
The 2013 calendar for senior activities is as follows:
• April 18 - Kiwanis Vocational Luncheon, 11:30 a.m. to 1 p.m., Habecker Dining Commons, Huntington University.
• April 18 - Announcement Distribution by Jostens, during lunches, HNHS commons.
• April 23 - Announcement of Class of 2013 Valedictorian, Salutatorian and HNHS Teacher of the Year, 7 a.m., HNHS media center (by invitation only).
• April 23 - Junior Rotarian Luncheon, 11:30 to 1 p.m., HNHS media center.
• April 25 - Top 25 pictures, during homeroom, HNHS gymnasium.
• April 26 - ICE Vocational Employer/Student Luncheon, 11:30 a.m. to 1 p.m., location is to be announced.
• April 30 - Military Enlistee Breakfast, 7:30 a.m., HNHS media center (by invitation only).
• April 30 - Rotary National Honor Society Luncheon, noon, Habecker Dining Commons, Huntington University.
• May 2 - KBF Luncheon for Top 25 Seniors, noon, Habecker Dining Commons, Huntington University.
• May 11 - Prom (no tickets sold at door), 9 p.m. to midnight, HNHS gymnasium.
• May 12 - Post Prom, 1 a.m. to 4 a.m., HNHS gymnasium.
• May 13 - Marching Practice, third and fourth periods, HNHS auditorium/gymnasium.
• May 13 - Cap and gown distribution, following marching practice, HNHS gymnasium.
• May 13 - Graduation ticket distribution, following marching practice, homeroom.
• May 13 - NHS & AHD recipients pick up sashes and gold tassels, following distribution of caps and gowns, HNHS gymnasium.
• May 13 - Achievement Program, 7 p.m., HNHS gymnasium.
• May 17 - Senior Breakfast, 7:45 a.m. (report to homeroom), cafeteria.
• May 23 - Certified Nursing Assistant (CNA) Pinning Ceremony, 7 p.m., HNHS auditorium.
• May 27 - No school.
• May 29 - Final exams, periods 1, 3, 5 and 7.
• May 30 - Final exams, periods 2, 4, 5 and 6.
• May 30 - Seniors' last day.
• June 2 - Baccalaureate Service, 7 p.m., HNHS auditorium.
• June 7 - Graduation, 7 p.m., HNHS gymnasium.
Also to be held (after May 30) is a Senior Class Party with date, time and location to be announced.
Complete caption: Ana Wenning, senior at Huntington North High School, scopes out the scholarship forms in the guidance department. She has already applied for scholarships from Northwest Elementary School, Huntington County Community School Foundation, Optimist Club, Questa and the Huntington County Teachers Association.