The Department of Natural Resources has a full slate of events for the 2013 calendar year, with activities for the entire family.
Interpretive Naturalist Teresa Rody says one of the highlights of the year will be the eagle watch field trips.
"Locally, eagle watch trips will be held at Salamonie Lake, on Feb. 2 and 3," Rody says. "There are also trips at the other reservoirs as well."
The Eagle Watch will begin at Salamonie Interpretive Center at 3 p.m. on both days. The program begins with a short overview of Indiana bald eagles and participants will caravan to the roost to watch the eagles come in for the night.
Registration is requested and participants should dress for the weather and bring binoculars, spotting scopes and cameras.
Other events scheduled for this year at Salamonie are:
• Jan. 1 - New Year's Day Hike. The group will meet at Salamonie River State Forest, Hominy Ridge Shelter at 10 a.m. for a brisk walk. Pets on leashes are welcome to participate. Pre-registration is requested.
• Jan. 7 - Salamonie Senior Monday carry-in luncheon, starting at noon, at Salamonie Interpretive Center.
Seniors age 50 and older are invited. Co-authors Deb Dulworth and Linda Hanna will talk about their book,
"Reflections of a Stranger," a murder mystery set in a retirement community. They will be available for a book signing afterwards.
Pre-registration is required and attendees are asked to make a donation to help defray costs of the provided main dish.
• Jan. 23 - Preschool children's program. The theme for that day will be "weather." Other program dates are Feb. 13, March 13, April 24 and May 22. The programs are offered twice on each day, from 10 a.m. to 11:30 a.m. and 12:30 p.m. to 2 p.m.
There is a program fee and pre-registration is requested.
• Feb. 23 - Cowboy Gathering.
• March 1 - Indiana Master Naturalist class.
• May 4 - Lake Roots Slide Show.
• June 1 and 2 - Fishing derby weekend, at various properties.
• July 26 through 28 - Christmas in July.
• July 27 - Smokey Bear's Birthday Bash.
• Aug. 6 through 8 - Youth Day Camp.
• Sept. 9 through 11 - Senior Fall Fest.
• Sept. 20 through 22 - Salamonie Riders Rendezvous.
• Oct. 11 through 13 - Celebrate Fall at Salamonie.
For a complete list of all programs offered by the DNR for the 2013 calendar year, visit www.dnr.IN.gov/uwis or visit www.facebook.com/upperwabash.
To register for programs, call 468-2127.
Salamonie Interpretive Center is located at Salamonie Reservoir's Lost Bridge West Recreation Area, 3691 S. New Holland Rd., Andrews.